Thursday, April 2, 2015

This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith

My Reaction: 3 stars. I liked bits and pieces of This Is What Happy Looks Like, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. I loved that it was set in a fictional town in Maine and even though I didn't grow up on the coast, it definitely reminded me of home. I had a few issues with the setting, mostly the fact that there are no towns an hour south of Kennebunkport, at least none in Maine.  I get that it's a fictional town so that should not matter, but accuracy is important to creating an authentic setting and it would have been much more realistic if Henley had been north of Kennebunkport.

As far as the plot goes, this was a slow plot. The beginning started out great, but then I felt like it lost its momentum. There wasn't much for action and even what little there was was slow. There was no love triangle, no big fights, no mystery that we were trying to solve, nothing to keep me up late turning the pages.

About the Book: One day, Ellie O'Neill receives an unusual email from an unknown sender about walking a pig. Knowing absolutely nothing about the sender, she responds and before long a long distance friendship develops between two teenagers on opposite sides of the country. The unknown sender of the email turns out to be Graham Larkin, teenage movie star whose latest film brings him to Ellie's hometown of Henley, Maine for part of the summer. Together the two must navigate the public spotlight and the ocean waters to see if their relationship will work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment